Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thankful Thursday

Last weekend was packed. We put an offer on a house (but the counters were crazy so we stopped that pursuit), had dinner with my Dad, had some friends over for a waffle breakfast, went to a super-fun wedding of one of Nolan's colleagues and danced the night away, did some work, and then I went to a Thai "massage" Sunday afternoon. Really, it was more of "pulling on all my limbs and chanting buddhist exhortations while inhaling incense for an hour and a half" instead of a massage...but it was relaxing. I think I'm cancelling my second session (even though it's free), as I was hoping for more of an actual massage, but I will say that just laying there and letting my mind relax and even meditating on some of the general thoughts being chanted about happiness and bringing joy to others and learning to let things roll off of you was a good exercise for me. No matter what religion you are, there are some truly beautiful common threads like those that I think we can all learn and benefit from. This is partly why I like travelling, and really soaking in some of those nuggets of wisdom that we can glean from others with different belief systems and cultures.

This weekend is going to be super different than planned. We were going to head up to the ranch, look at homes, maybe go up to Tahoe for a day...and now we're sticking around our house, having waffles with more friends (who doesn't like healthy waffles with friends on a Saturday morning?), grilling with friends on Memorial Day, maybe mountain biking, maybe making a day trip to Sacramento to view homes if needed, maybe just lounging around...we'll see. I had a fun work dinner on Monday, then we hosted a big party at our house on Tuesday, and are going to another one tonight at someone else's...so it may be a chill weekend. I also have big plans to take Milo to my friend's house for a playdate with his little girlfriend, Harley. He's been acting out a bit recently and I think he just needs some friend time. But now I'm blogging about my cat. So...let's move on.

1. I'm thankful for the slightly cooler weather, even though it means I've actually been cold at times this week. The heatwave last week was too.hot. Oh yeah, and I'm thankful for our little A/C that helps make life more bearable during those hot times!
2. I'm thankful for the beautiful area we live in now for running! Every direction is interesting and pretty, and if we want trail runs, all we have to do is hop in the car for 5 minutes for our choice of preserves to run in.
3. I'm thankful for Milo, that turd.
4. I'm thankful for Nolan, and our times of growth and learning together - buying a home and transitioning out of residency are both big, stressful things, and I'm so glad that we can learn from them and grow through them together.
5. I'm thankful for a long weekend, in which I plan to maybe not open my work laptop at all! I love my work, but it's good to practice that balance and let yourself do nothing sometimes.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: