Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday

In the spirit of my new nutritional plan that I'm following, I thought I'd start experimenting with some delicious desserts that meet my needs/wants. So in the next few weeks/months/forever, I'll start posting recipes that I deem a success! Tonight, I made my first one, and although it was good and I've had 4 cookies already, it still needs some perfecting (as Nolan will tell you!). But let me just say: not only are these cookies vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and low-carb (and flourless!), they're also chocolate-oat with just a hint of peanut butter and banana goodness. Yum! I can't wait to post the recipe! Next to invent after I perfect this one: almond-flax cookies! Sometime during the summer I'm going to attempt to make a coconut chai ice cream (dairy and sugar-free!).

Fun hint: did you know you can substitute flax seed and a little water for butter in some recipes?

But since it's just Thursday, and my recipes aren't ready yet...

1. I'm SO thankful that I can finally announce that I'm going to be an aunt! And Nolan will be an uncle! My lovely sister-in-law is expecting our first niece/nephew in July. CANNOT WAIT!!!
2. I'm thankful for my newfound love for healthy food. Seriously, other than being ridiculously full all the time (which I'm still struggling to get used to), I'm really loving learning about how to feed my body the right things, and I'm seeing positive results with things like my energy levels and stamina during workouts.
3. I'm thankful that I get to spend time with Nolan in the evenings, even if he is uber tired all the time. If we just sit on the couch and argue about whether my new cookies are delicious or weird all night, and try to find a cool new tv show to follow, I'm happy. I just like seeing him. Plus, he's useful: last night I came home in a funk. REALLY grouchy for no good reason. Plus irritated because I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and can't do a lot of plank-exercises for awhile. Also affects my ability to do the YMCA properly. ANYWAY: after storming around the apartment grouching about what to eat and my crappy week, it took about 10 seconds of Nolan sitting me down, massaging icy-hot into my shoulder, and whispering into my ear for me to forget everything. Grumpiness? Gone. Bless.
4. I'm thankful (again) for old and new friends. Spending time with both on Saturday and cannot wait! So wonderful to have amazing supporters in these girls!
5. I'm thankful for my job. I have to say it. Even though it's been a relatively crappy and hectic work-week, I do love what I do when it all comes down to it. I was walking to work the other day (and by that I mean I had already driven 30 minutes and was walking from my car to the train for the other half of my commute), and was struck by how I was looking forward to getting to the office. I don't know if I could ever not work. I like having projects and challenges to keep my mind engaged throughout the day.
6. I'm thankful for my brother, Nate, and what a great man he's turning out to be! Had such fun with him this weekend when he was visiting.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: