Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Yesterday I went into the gym at lunch kind of dreading my WOD. It was this:
Muscle snatch 1-1-1-1-1
Power snatch 3-3-3-3-3
Snatch 5-5-5-5-5
Knowing how bad I am at snatches, I was nervous. So I planned to use the MaxRack (never a good idea for Olympic lifts), because it made me *feel* more stabilized. Especially those squat snatches at the end - yikes. So I went in, started warming up with the bar, and then started on the MaxRack. After maybe 2 minutes there, I saw one of the super-friendly trainers behind me, grinning, and poking the technique bar at me. That trainer took me to the mirrors and worked on correcting, stabilizing, and perfecting my snatch technique for an hour. Unscheduled and on his personal time. He was SO helpful, so encouraging, and by the end he had me try a much heavier weight than I thought I could handle, just to push me out of my comfort zone. I did end up having to throw the weight down (fail!), but it was liberating to even get it over my head. The snatch is such an incredibly technical lift, but so much fun when you really start to get the hang of it!

Today is a rest day, and thank goodness. Tomorrow involves a lot of OH squats and double-unders. I have big plans for wearing tall socks.

I finally remembered I actually took a picture of my paleo guac that I made last week, so if you care - that post has been updated with a pic.

But hey! Reason to celebrate: it's Thursday and HERE I AM. Yay for follow-through. Let's go:

1. I'm thankful for intentional kindness. That trainer yesterday seriously made my day, and I recognize that he gave up his time to do so. 
2. I'm thankful for tasty fall treats. Sweet potatoes with pesto, pumpkin waffles, bacon and coffee. What am I saying, I eat all those things year-round. I guess this was a roundabout way of saying that I'm thankful for food...again.
3. I'm thankful for playtime with friends! I've been lucky to get a lot of that lately, and it's rejuvenating.
4. I'm thankful for being halfway done with Christmas shopping. Yeah, you read that right. In fact, I'm more than halfway. But some stuff is still in the mail, so it doesn't count yet. Score for productivity!
5. I'm thankful for work-at-home days, like tomorrow. I get an extra hour or so of sleep, AND I get excellent, focused work time, AND I can eat whatever I want out of my fridge for lunch? Win.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: