Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Thanksgiving Edition!

This week has been eventful. In mostly good ways. For example, we got to see a lot of old friends and spend time playing vicious games of Dominion with a few new ones. Our new roommate My dad spent another evening with us this week, which we always really enjoy. Oh and I got to experience strangers controlling my brain. No really. I am doing another round of that pain research study I did before, and this time they were sending magnetic pulses through my scalp and telling my thumb to move, among other things. So fascinating. See?
I always have to beg a little to get them to take a picture.

This morning, I woke up and ate a nice, slow breakfast and coffee, then stretched a bit before turning on the tv (seriously, I think we turn that thing on maybe once a year!) to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Because you know, it's Milo's favourite. Every single year he watches that parade - we've had other movies and stuff streaming from the tv screen, and he never watches them...so it truly is something about the parade itself. This year I took the picture of him glued to it when he didn't know I was watching.
By the time I got home from my workout, the cool balloons had already passed, and there were random people jump-roping on the stage. By that point he was only watching with one eye open and half-asleep. I don't blame him. Who cares about jump-ropers.

Throwback time! Let's see how energetic he was about watching the parade the last couple of years:

2012 - Charlie Brown is his favourite! Yes, I know he's just a cat.

...and a series of 4 pictures over 4 hours from 2011 (my favourite series of pictures ever!!!)





This morning I decided to run Pulgas Ridge against my better judgment. See, I know as well as the next person that the 2 biggest "traffic" days for walking and running are Thanksgiving Day, and New Year's Day. The former because people in 'Merca somehow trick themselves into believing that if they go for a very long walk that morning, they "earn" the right to stuff themselves silly with food later. Like I said...'Merca. The latter, of course, because everyone's starting their soon-to-be failed New Year's Resolutions. Do I sound cynical yet? Sorry.

Anyway. So I went to Pulgas Ridge, and the usually empty parking lot was overflowing. So I parked on the little street, strapped on my water belt, and started running. I swear, every person in San Mateo county was on that trail. It was herds. Droves, I tell you. Good news is that none of them braved the whole loop and left out the brutal climb in the middle - so I got to do that alone with nobody to watch me cry blood as I climbed those massive hills out of the canyon. Bad news is that when I finally was on my way back down the last mile, they had the nerve to all make comments as I passed about "must be easy running downhill!". Yeah. Must be. Turds.

We had our Thanksgiving with a few friends around noon this year, and so Nolan got to have his feast after all, though he has to work the next few nights. At least with his work schedule, we've somehow managed to still celebrate Thanksgiving grandly each year. And Milo's still gotten to watch his parade. So we all win. Onto what else is winning?

1. I'm thankful for growth. An area I've been surprised and pleased to see growth in myself in this year has been learning to like people. You laugh, but although I really like spending time with people I care about, I really didn't like strangers or "people", if you know what I mean. Now (with a lot of encouragement and pushing from Nolan), I'm finding myself chatting up strangers and meeting people everywhere and being downright (dare I say it?) agreeable? This was supposed to be a good reflection but now I realize I sound like the grinch. Sigh. Still thankful though.
2. I'm thankful for my undeservedly wonderful husband. How do I even put into words how much he means to me? I see reasons every.single.day why I am so incredibly blessed to have such a good man and such a fun, challenging and loving marriage and friendship to come home to for the rest of my life. Nolan, you are my sun and stars.
3. I'm thankful for our great families. Can't wait to see everyone at Christmas and enjoy good quality family time!
4. I'm thankful for our jobs that we both love and our future career plans! Also, I say this a lot but I'm super grateful for my boss! I love my job, but having a phenomenal person to lead, support and coach you makes such a huge difference.
5. I'm thankful for the holidays and the reminder to love on each other and appreciate the world and people around us, as well as the real reason for the season. So grateful that I get to celebrate that first time God gave us His most amazing gift, so many years ago.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You're not alone, friend. I CANNOT STAND the "resolution crowd" at the gym. Seriously people. Have some respect for the people who do this crap YEAR ROUND.

"Yeah. Must be. Turds." Seriously. Truth. That would make me so mad!