Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful Thursday

This week has been odd. I think I got confused working from home a few days and then going into the office in between - it's like my body was in this rhythm and now I have no idea what day of the week it is. Plus, next week is Thanksgiving, and those 2 random days off always throw me.

In other news, Nolan and I are practically caught up to the current season of The Walking Dead. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't doing it. Who knew a zombie show could be so good?

This week I broke some fitness milestones: I set new PRs (personal records) in a couple lifts, and I ran over 8 miles without knee pain. Okay, that still isn't super far, but since I've been oh-so-gradually increasing the distance over the past 8 or so months so that my knees can take it slow and adjust, it's nice to be finally at that medium distance. Woo!

I discovered very bad recipes these past few weeks. Really bad. Like, getting me back on the dessert wagon bad . Did I mention I was off for awhile? Okay, so to back up - I decided to go officially, legit, Paleo a few weeks ago. I'm not saying I'm going to stay Paleo, but since the only real difference between my eating habits is that now I'm not eating greek yogurt (or any dairy) or oats, it was a super easy switch. We'll see how long I can go without those oats. Confession time: I also used to count calories. It was usually to make sure I was getting enough to support my workouts, but sometimes it got a little bit too calculated, and I didn't feel like that was healthy. So that's stopped too.

Anyway: desserts. So since switching over, I haven't really craved sweets as much. No idea why, but I'm not complaining - it was a bad habit!

Also: nobody make that recipe I linked because I'm making it for the holidays! kthanks.

So, other than delicious desserts my sweet tooth finally starting to ebb:

1. I'm thankful for the rain. It's been SO.DRY. here in California, and we desperately needed rain. Plus, there's nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of it! Also: my car stays cleaner.
2. I'm thankful for extra time with my dad! He's been staying with us in between work stints nearby, and it's so fun to have a little extra time to spend together. He's a good ole fellow.
3. I'm thankful for being halfway done with Christmas shopping. Are you jealous? You should be, because I'm planning on being done by December 1, and then just letting the excitement build to give the presents away without stressing about picking them out. I can spend December weekends away from holiday shopping crowds? Excellent.
4. I'm thankful for fun times with friends. We have an awesome weekend coming up, with Hunger Games, game nights, Stanford tailgating, dinners, you name it.
5. I'm thankful for relaxing on our first ever "Treat Yo Self" day this coming Sunday. I'll just pretend that I'm not spending 3 hours Sunday afternoon getting my palm burned to a crisp for another pain study, and call the rest of the day a Treat Yo Self day. I plan on...buying myself lunch? Hah - we'll see if I actually take advantage of the day or not so much. Nolan already tried to convince me that him making me give him a massage was him treating himself. I'm not sure what world he's living in.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: