Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thankful Thursday...and a lot of pictures of stuff.

Our friends recently went to Costa Rica, and brought us back some Lizano sauce as a special treat. We went there on our honeymoon many moons ago (hah!), and fell in love with the casados and tasty brown Lizano sauce. So in honour of good memories, we scrambled up some casados for lunch (the type of meal), and lived it up like we were in Costa Rica. 


Last Friday, we came into the city to submit and wait for Nolan's Indian Visa. I submitted mine too, but at a different place since mine didn't need to be rushed. We dropped it off in the morning, then I worked while he waited. Then we drove downtown for a quick meeting with boss, who joined us for lunch at my favourite spot, then I worked the rest of the day while Nolan waited...until 5:55pm (they close at 6), when they FINALLY got his Visa into his hands. I would explain the whole chaotic and ridiculous process of actually making that happen, but it makes me tired thinking about it. This is his face upon actually getting the Visa:

Although he said this is a more accurate depiction of how he felt inside after the whole stupid process:


If you've ever stayed with us and wonder why we put Milo's bed on the bathroom counter at night, this is why:
Because he ends up there either way. He discovered (and I did too, via my chapstick melting in the top drawer) that the heating system in the bathroom redirects the hot air past and through the drawers, until it hits the underside of the counter, which ends up being super warm. This is his version of butt warmers in a car, and he likes it.

Then I flew to Vegas for work...and discovered that the reputation of the Cosmopolitan hotel as a sexy hotel, though super nice, is intact. In fact, there was sex advertised everywhere in my room, oh-so-subtly. See what I mean below.
Open shower next to the bed: 

The bathroom wallpaper is women's figures (look closely):

Stocking art:

It's hard to tell, but there were mirrors everywhere! 

I don't even know what to say about this one, but...binoculars:

A "get lucky" kit, with everything you need:

And I had a picture of the magazines they left on my workdesk, but it disappeared somewhere. Anyway: one had a risque picture of Britney on it (though, what pictures of Brit-Brit aren't risque these days?), and the other one had a big bold article advertised called "Sex on a Plane". Sweet. All this would be funny and cute if I was here for fun with my significant other...not here alone on business. 

Aside from my hotel,Vegas is pretty much the same as it always is: flashing lights and smoke and noises.

 My crappy attempt at a selfie.

 I DID have to take a picture of the Chandelier bar. This doesn't do it justice, but it's beautiful! Everything is inside this huge, glittering chandelier.

 And the view from my room. Boring. But at least it's better than last time I was here, when I had a sweeping view of the wall of a maintenance building. 
Vegas is always a fun place to visit, but after about 24 hours...eh. It'll be good to be home tomorrow night...for about 24 hours before I leave for Virginia. Anyway:

1. I'm thankful that I get to go home tomorrow, albeit just for a day. I have laundry to do, my own bed to sleep in, and my cat to play with. Oh and a fun girls night out on Saturday before I leave again.
2. I'm thankful for a good meeting with colleagues. It's always so nice to catch up with good folks you haven't seen in awhile, and hear fresh takes on things you've been working on in your own little space.
3. I'm thankful for the hotel itself in Vegas. That sounds weird, but...after many trips, there are some real crap ones out there. This one has a full-blown, fully-equipped gym (hallelujah!), wifi in every part of the building (you'd think that was a given, but no), and actually pretty nice amenities and services. The restaurants in this one aren't bad, either. Did I mention they have a pillow-butler? You know, just in case I don't like my kind of pillow and want to try another one of the 8 varieties they offer.
4. I'm thankful for pilfered water bottles. Because no matter how nice the hotel, it's hard to come across water in the middle of the night when you can't just walk yourself down to the fitness center's water fountain for a refill. So I take them from the meeting rooms and stash 'em. Plus, I forgot how DRY it is here. I'm constantly thirsty and it's nice to have a supply.
5. I'm thankful for a night off tomorrow. I don't know how many hours I've logged these past couple of weeks, but the thought of having a night with my work laptop shut off and just, like...watching a movie or SOMETHING lazy and indulgent like that...sounds amazing.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: