Monday, July 9, 2012

Brekkie, etc.

 It's no secret that I'm obsessed with breakfast. It's hands-down my favourite meal of the day. In fact, I was already planning tomorrow's breakfast while driving home from work today. What might be surprising, is that I don't vary up my breakfasts that much. They are almost always 1 of 4 options. I also have a small protein drink to go with them, so I build lean muscle after my morning workouts. It makes a difference.

Anyway, though I maintain a low-carb lifestyle for the most part, I definitely opt for plenty of carbs at breakfast, as long as they are a grain or seed and not something processed or empty of nutrition. It helps me rebuild my energy after working out, and it keeps me full until lunch (with just a small snack in between to keep my metabolism pumping!). Last week, I had this almost every day, with only a day of my go-to Kashi in between:
 
Fabulous, delicious chia seed. With blueberries, pecans, sweetener, dried cranberries, cinnamon and soymilk.
 This week, it's been this every single morning, including the weekends! I feel so luxurious when I have time to actually sit down and enjoy breakfast! Back to this week's trend:
My good friend, protein-packed quinoa! With blueberries, cinnamon, sweetener, skim milk, and pecans. Yum! 

Since I spent an hour browsing Pinterest this weekend (active lifestyle fail), I came up with several great new treats! This is most definitely not breakfast...but when shared with others and not consumed all in one sitting, it's a relatively "okay" treat that tastes amazingly wicked. Let me just say: if you like Reese's cups and PARTICULARLY Reese's peanut butter eggs for Easter, you will love this recipe:
 For only 6 ingredients and all of them natural and pretty healthy, it's pretty incredible that even my finely-tuned taste for Reese's was fooled.


And for something altogether different...
That is how Milo looked on Saturday morning, while waiting for Nolan to wake up. He wanted nothing to do with my blankets and breakfast and warm lap and cooing (all his favourite things). He just wanted his boy to wake up and play.


Looking forward to:
- visiting family this weekend (and meeting our nephew, SQUEEE!)
- ylehsa visiting this week!
- our 5th anniversary next weekend, and inevitably fun times together!
- going up to Placerville the next weekend :)

...and a fun new vacation that is in the works (soon, too!), but we haven't officially purchased tickets, so I can't say where it's to or I might jinx it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Campbell said...

Yay for meeting your new nephew! I hope you have fun. :-)