Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

This week I tried something new. Rather than sticking to my neighbourhood (-ish) for my run, I ran this trail on Tuesday and it was rough! Not too far of a distance, but the elevation - ! I came home and had to finish my CrossFit WOD and I was t.i.r.e.d. But it was beautiful and isolated and probably very scary when dark. I swear the continuous climbs were totally worth it when I got to the top of the ridge and literally heard nothing but the wind and an eagle. Really. I'm adding every trail run within 15 miles of my house to my to-do list. They're everywhere! Nate, if you're reading this - I'm bringing you here the second you get back from China.

We were up in Placerville this weekend, and actually managed to make a one-night stay feel like a 3 day stay, and enjoy some prolonged relaxation time with family! We even got to bring home a souvenir from the ranch: Huevos a la Rory. He apparently keeps his chickens so happy that they keep giving him HUGE double-yolk eggs. Here's one we brought home - conjoined twins!


Yesterday I placed an order for some items from a sports-adventure site we like, and when I checked the tracking today...apparently it was almost to my house. Holy cow. Amazon can't touch that.

This week has been really interesting, what with the BART strike keeping me at home, and the rushed weekend getting up to the ranch and back, but I'm feeling pretty good. And productive. Working at home is the best way to get in really solid work with no distractions - amazing! With that:

1. I'm thankful for being caught up. Not just at work, but at home, with all the little to-dos I have going on. It feels good to be more or less on track and able to relax at night!
2. I'm thankful for new/old finds. We were able to sort through some of my grandma's stuff, since her home is being sold soon, and found some pretty great things that I will continue using in her honour! Some cool antiques, and some old classics. And a new roll of wax paper, which was on my list anyway. w00t!
3. I'm thankful for resolve. I've been struggling in terms of some of my WODs, not working quite hard enough (or working too hard and falling over publicly at the gym, like yesterday :( ), or like today - not wanting to wake up at 5am and face the scary darkness. I'm thankful that I've pushed through it, because I'm starting to feel more like my old self again - and already plotting my next excellent workout!
4. I'm thankful for the holidays! I'm already in the thick of my favourite season, but the day after Halloween is just next week, and that is the official start of the "Holiday" season! YAY! Then maybe I can crank up my Christmas music a little louder on my morning commute.
5. I'm thankful for a respite in Nolan's schedule these 2 weeks. It's so nice to see him actually getting sleep, actually being able to see friends, and actually being around for even more meals together. Double YAY!

What are you thankful for?

No comments: