Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thankful Thursday

This past week for date night, we tried something we haven't done in several years: homemade sushi. I was so proud of preparing the rice (cauliflower rice - YES it works in sushi and tastes just fine once you add rice vinegar!), cooked up the shrimp in coconut flour, egg, and coconut oil and spices to get a delicious tempura, and then got our nice teriyaki sauce and chopsticks all ready to go with the Nori. However, it turns out that sushi is my downfall in the kitchen. It TASTED fantastic, but, well...see for yourself. 

Apparently Nolan is a great sushi-maker (top plate with crab california rolls is his), and I make a plate of nasty little seaweed and shrimp turds. At least it was delicious.

Since I've added a lot more running on top of my CrossFit days, my feet have been paying the price. A little blister here, a little chafing there...even when I wear my super comfy socks and shoes. So thank goodness my husband procures me free rolls of medical tape, which is squishy and soft and keeps my feet feeling good even after several miles! Too bad it's so ugly.

Last night we had this week's date night, and decided to re-try an Indian place in Redwood City. We tried it 2 years ago, and it was horrendous. But you know, everyone's gotta improve after years of bad feedback, right? You hope? Well the good news is that this place definitely improved. Bad news is that now we have yet another tasty Indian place to eat at whenever we want. Thai, Indian, Indonesian...curries are our weakness.

Speaking of good things:

1. I'm thankful for a couple nights in the last couple weeks, that I've actually gotten to spend with Nolan. He's working quite a bit these days, and I so look forward to nights alone with him. 
2. I'm thankful for a continued drive to excel at work! I'm still very much on a learning curve, but it's satisfying, exhausting, and very exciting work. I'm so fortunate!
3. I'm thankful for a weekend coming up. I'm going to shut down my laptop, get some extra sleep, and eat delicious and healthy food. Yay!
4. I'm thankful for my mom's taste in shows and movies. I scoff at them, but it turns out that she always knows best. It's nice to have something funny to watch in the background as I'm doing work.
5. I'm thankful for the fantastic fall weather. There's been pumpkin foods, apple spice candles, crisp mornings with hot coffee on my drive to work, and chilly runs that require eating homemade turkey chili afterwards. I LOVE this time of year.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

chels said...

what do you get when you go to Indonesian places? i'm guessing some kind of curry, but do you know what its called?