Monday, April 23, 2012

burnin' up

I think Nolan was absolutely right the other day when he said, "we've had a whole year of seasons in the last month". Truly. A month ago it was still freezing cold (still ice on my car!), then it was rainy but not super cold, then it got temperate and the sun was peeking out, and last week it crescendoed into a giant heatwave. 90 degrees on Saturday and I have the burn to prove it:

For the record (Mom), I was totally wearing sunscreen like I do every day. I just forgot to reapply after being outside for awhile. And I was totally unprepared.

However, I took advantage of the heat in other ways:
1. Dug out cute summer clothes
2. Wore my big floppy hat (squee!!!)
3. Biked to froyo with Nolan
4. BBQed ribs for friends on Sunday
5. Learned that my hair-washing routine may not work as well during the hot, sweaty months.
In case you're wondering about the last one...Nate finally pushed me over the edge with some article he posted awhile ago on FB. It was about how you should wash your hair only twice a week. Before you think I'm disgusting, LET ME TELL YOU: the last several salons I've been to, my hairstylist has told me she only washes her hair twice a week. After hearing this from a few different hair professionals, I knew it wasn't just a weird thing. Turns out, even washing every other day isn't as great for your hair as less frequently. Every time you wash, the shampoo strips the hair of its natural oils (sebum), and then you slather it back on artificially with conditioner. This dries out and breaks down the follicle, causing frizz and unhealthy, dry hair. If you can wean down to just twice a week, your hair will stop producing as much sebum naturally, so your hair won't be as oily between washes, but will stay moisturized naturally. Still sound gross? If it makes you feel better, I rinse my hair with just water after workouts, and in the mornings I use dry shampoo (basically just a safe powder for your roots that makes the oils less apparent, but doesn't strip the hair of them). Still weirded out? Yeah, me too.

Nolan's a little weirded out that one of my lines now is "Guess what today was? A hair-washing day!"

I can feel some derogatory comments about my hygiene coming my way after this post.

No comments: