Wednesday, June 20, 2012

moving along

Last weekend was so hot here, that I had a literally unproductive day on Saturday. I laid on the couch and moaned about the heat and didn't do a single thing. In the morning, I had done my workout already and gone to meet Noemma in San Jose for breakfast (guess what I had? scrambled egg-whites...GASP!), and when I got back it was like Death Valley had descended in our house. The AC didn't help (not that it cools more than 300sqft anyway), open windows and fans didn't help...misery. Sunday we came up with a plan before even leaving for church, so it was a little cooler inside that day and I was SUPER productive. So it balanced out.

Friday night was graduation for the 3rd year residents who are moving on to fellowships and appointments. Nolan's officially a 2nd year! Then last night was our first night meeting the incoming intern class at Stanford. I can't believe the first year has already come and gone, and now we have less than 2 to go. Time flies, and thank goodness in this case.

After months of pledging allegiance to Insanity, I finally gave in and switched to P90X to vary things up. I'm only a few days in, but so far:
- It's definitely a lot more varied. This is a good thing. Though Insanity is tough, it starts to get a bit boring when you do very similar things in each workout.
- My muscles are already changing. I know, it's too soon, right? I'm telling you, I've never had this kind of strength in my arms. My back and chest were majorly hurting me yesterday, and that's with me increasing my daily protein intake in a big way.
- I don't sweat as much during the workouts. At first I was wondering if they were too easy for me (the first day, I did an hour of P90X and then went for a 5k run to burn off extra energy!), but I paid more attention the next couple days and got a lot more out of it. Plus, the routines were harder those days :) I'm thinking it has something to do with it not being quite as cardio-heavy as Insanity? Might also have to do with the temp in the house - I'm back to 5am workouts instead of afternoon or evening.

I'm sure I'll have better informed opinions in the next few months, but for now I'm intrigued and thoroughly enjoying it!

No comments: