Monday, December 17, 2012

black beans and baked apples

I finally finished our stockings! There's no guarantee they'll look like this next year, what with me deciding to leave bits of scrap on there and all, but here's what they look like this year! Milo's is admittedly wonky-looking. I'm okay with that. He's a wonky guy. Yesterday he rage-peed on the floor because there was a toddler in the house and he has NO IDEA HOW TO HANDLE A TODDLER. That will need to change someday. Anyway. The stockings:
 I've also been savouring the cold mornings doing crafts, because they're usually accompanied by breakfasts like this:
 A delicious, hot baked apple with pepitas, some oats, sunflower seeds, and a dash of spices and squirt of honey. It's the best. I usually have a glass of water with protein powder to go with this too because this is filling enough as it is, but I need to get protein somehow!

On Sunday, I hosted a gingerbread house party. I was overly ambitious and made the gingerbread and icing myself this year. It took ages. And I overdosed on the gingerbread dough (a tiny piece here and there while rolling it really adds up), and ended up moaning on the couch. I'm not used to that much sugar!

But the party was awesome. We watched ignored Holiday Inn playing  merrily in the background while we munched on appetizers and attempted to keep our houses in tact.


Love these girls! It was a great way to close out the last normal weekend of the year!


Tonight: my mission is to make my DELICIOUS black-bean brownies embedded with cherries. I'm telling you: they're so good that even Nolan wasn't ashamed of their relative-healthiness. We brought them to the ugly sweater party and he would jab his finger at them when someone grabbed one and say "those are (kinda) healthy!" Here's the recipe (I press half a cherry into the top of each piece (8x8 pan = 16 pieces) to make them pretty) - it's delish. Good thing, too, because these are for the cookie exchange at work tomorrow. One of my coworkers already walked into my cube and said "If I hear that any of your treats have veggies or healthy stuff in them, I'm not eating them!". Oh dear, I've got a reputation.

I'm going to make my own sugarless chocolate chips for the recipe sometime too...but I'd better not push it for tomorrow :)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I literally guffawed out loud at my desk when I read, "Yesterday he rage-peed on the floor because there was a toddler in the house and he has NO IDEA HOW TO HANDLE A TODDLER" because I could see it playing out in my mind. AWESOME.