Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Public Shaming

Friday night we went to the annual ugly sweater party. I've known about this for a long time, and I distinctly remember thinking the last time I was at my parents' house: should I bring my ugly sweater back to my house with me? Nah, I'll be up again before then. NOPE. So we had to improvise. I thought of the ugliest sweaters I've ever seen, and found that they all had a general theme:

So we rolled with it. This had me running to the printer to make sure nobody saw that I was printing pictures not only of my cat, but of random kittens. SOB.


On Saturday, I was persuaded to go see the last installment of Twilight with a friend. After severely what time I'd finish my morning workout, I was running really late. So I grabbed what I thought had potential as a cute, appropriate outfit as I was frantically shoving chicken and veggies into my mouth. Turns out, it wasn't cute. But I nailed "appropriate" on the head. What else would a teen going to see Twilight probably wear? So Erin took a picture of me so that I could shame myself, after a lengthy discussion on why I would think it was okay to wear this. See for yourself:

If you can't see them, my tights had hearts on them too. What! It was a pair Nolan brought me from China!

Sure enough, when I got home, Nolan swiveled in his chair to greet me and stopped humming to say, "Whoa. Wait a second. What...what is this...did you wear this outside?"

Consider me shamed.



Sunday, we were getting ready for church, when we decided that since it was practically a monsoon outside, what sounded best was a peaceful morning at Peet's, with hot drinks, sitting outside on the covered porch and watching the rain. This is possibly the worst picture ever (does it even show anything?), but the storm was so bad that a gigantic tree fell across all of the Camino Real and blocked it off. So we took the scenic route.

And commenced our morning. It was lovely and peaceful and wonderful.


After coffee, we walked across the lot to the pet shop...just to see what cat stuff they had. If that wasn't pathetic enough, we bought something totally unnecessary for Milo. We have to keep up his tradition of a new costume each year! So this year, he got a top hat:
And oh, does he hate that thing.


When we got home, Nolan had a skype-chess date with our friend in Scotland, and so I made us a nice hot lunch of leftover ingredients. Which translated out to coconut peanut curry over riced cauliflower! So tasty, and nothing beats curry on a rainy day.

My goal this week is to finish sending out Christmas cards, work on more family presents, and try to SLOW DOWN so that my favourite time of year doesn't just pass me by. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wow, even I know that was a bad ensemble!!!

Noemma said...

This post is hilarious! Milo's top hat, his face in the pic, ugly Christmas sweater...Your outfit! (Bahahaha! It's okay...it happens to the best of us. ;) ) Thanks for sharing, friend! I seriously laughed out loud!