Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

We had a small sort of mystery/adventure this week.

I came home from work and found a package for Nolan that he was not expecting. We checked the handwritten return address, and had NO idea from the name or address how we might know this person. His name and address were carefully scribed on the front, so it was no mistake. So...we opened the box, and inside was...
note the expression on his face...clearly says "what the..."
A random afghan, with Stanford-esque colours. Handmade, and huge. The best part? No note inside.

So yes. Just a random intricately handmade afghan in a box from a sender whose name we didn't know.

The rest of the night we spent trying to figure out who could have sent it and why. We went through different scenarios, people we knew, tried googling the sender's name and address, and came up empty-handed. Finally Nolan went with a text to his mom, asking if a very distant relative who had the same first name as the sender could possibly have the same last name. The answer came back yes.

So we solved who sent it...but still have no idea why, as this person has had no contact or relation or reason for relation with Nolan in many many years. Bizarre! Milo's thoroughly enjoying a fuzzy new blanket, while Nolan and I figure out what to do now. We could send a note, but what would it say? Nolan's suggestion was "thanks for the afghan...?". I think that could use improvement, but he's got a point.

But anyway!

1. I'm thankful for life's randomness, even in the form of afghans from long-lost distant relations. It makes things fun!
2. I'm thankful for seeing Nolan over the weekend. It was so nice! Even if he was groggy most of the time :)
3. I'm thankful for Milo. It's good to not be totally home alone when Nolan's on night shifts.
4. I'm thankful for our new dishwasher! It was a P A I N to get it installed (and I almost popped a cap on the installation guy), but it's here and it works and it's glorious.
5. I'm thankful for lots of holidays and trips and days off this first month of 2013, because otherwise January can be a downer of a month! Here we are almost at the end and I've hardly noticed! End of winter = bring it on.

What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

Mrs. Campbell said...

I don't know whether to think this is really sweet or a bit creepy... At least Milo is happy. ;-)

Noemma said...

I think you should send a Thank You card with no message.

Heidi said...

That pic made me audibly laugh at my desk. "Thanks for the afghan...?" Awesome. And SO bizarre that there was no note!!