Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thankful Thursday

What am I thankful for this week? That I get to go home to my own bed tonight, with my warm husband next to me. This is how I slept the last few nights, and it was terrible. I woke up around 3 or 4am EASTERN (12 or 1 my normal time) each night. Blah.
Needless to say, I've been taking full advantage of the delicious and fully-stocked complimentary coffee bar at the conference. Mmm, caffeine.

Speaking of which, I thought I should take at least one picture as proof I was there. So this was from the opening yesterday. Points for the Hyatt for cool lighting. Negative points for HCI for taking away our workshop tables and making us sit in rows for the rest of the conference.

Last night I went coupon-hunting for dinner again (points for me, saving the company $$ in an expensive city), and found an AMAZING tapas spot! It was kind of a far walk (ok, way longer than I thought), but totally worth it. I got there around 5:45 and it was pretty empty, but when I left there was live music and it was packed! So this trip I've eaten Brazilian, Turkish, and Spanish, respectively. Not bad!
Eclipse di Luna

They told me the plates were really tiny, and recommended a few from each side (veggie and meat). So this is what I got:
I *may* have cheated a little in my healthy eating with the calimari over pico de gallo, but only because it's their most requested dish! And they were right - it was fantastic. The other things were chicken over squash and chickpeas, spinach, and carrots with a balsamic reduction. So tasty! The only thing I could finish was the spinach, and then I knew I had to save room for their famous dessert. Which, of course, was:

FLAN!
So I've had some version of a flan each night I've been here. Hah! The best? The spanish flan, of course! So creamy and rich!

On the walk home, I had to stop and take a picture of a waffle house, so Nolan knows what to get used to seeing when he comes here in a few months. They were EVERYWHERE. As a frame of reference, I saw only 1 starbucks while there, and at least 25 different waffle houses. Crazy.


So with that...

1. I'm thankful to be going home tonight! Travelling is fun, but only when you're with the ones you love :) All I could think about each night at dinner was how fun it would be to have Nolan there. And then I finished my meal alone, checking email. Boo.
2. I'm thankful for planning. I have a lot of things to do/places to get at certain times in a strange city tonight to make sure I catch my flight home. Thank goodness for the internet and for forums on travelling in different cities.
3. I'm thankful for all the tasty food and fun things I got to see while in Atlanta! I may never be back here, but it was fun to experience a big Southern city.
4. I'm thankful for wifi everywhere. It's nice to be able to keep connected to work even in the conference and at restaurants, etc. Phew.
5. I'm thankful for the option to work from home tomorrow. Getting up super early and getting myself into the office would be brutal if these last few days of sleeplessness are any measure. It'll be nice to take it a bit slower and not have to go anywhere.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Pops said...

I once had a series of trips with layovers in Raliegh, NC. There were four waffle houses within walking distance.