Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Is it really Thursday? My days are all jumbled this week and I could have sworn it was Thursday the last 3 days.

Whatever day of the week it is, it's also Valentine's day, which is usually one of my least favourite days of the year. And I feel like I can say that justly, because I'm speaking as a happily married woman and not a vengeful and bitter rejected girl who is secretly pining for a valentine. Anyway. I just get tired of all the hoopla and super-hiked prices and seriously: all the emotions! Because on facebook alone, I see a long list of people writing angry/sad posts about Valentine's day or their lack of romance, or I see a bunch of people who are desperately trying to show the world how much they are loved. It's tiring and although I love the celebration of love, I don't like artificial shows of it. Blech.

Speaking of which, Facebook kindly reminded me today that I should purchase candy for my Valentine, because that is what one does on Valentine's day, right?

Sea salt caramels, anyone?

On that note, we're keeping up our tradition of finding a random weird little place to eat tonight, with the goal being that we're the only ones there. This is why we ate in a trailer 2 years ago and why we chased down a food truck (and failed!) last year. This year we're finding an almost-abandoned turkish kitchen and sampling some of their wares. Excellent!

But since it is Thursday, afterall...

1. I'm thankful for Nolan. Not because it's valentine's day but because I'm just so glad he's home from his trip and that I have him in my life and we get to hang out tonight. He just makes me so, so blissfully happy. *Stopping now before I fall into v-day cliches*
2. I'm thankful for the little things. Like receiving an email from our travel and expense team and finding that someone thought it would be funny to change the name to travel and entertainment in the very serious email signature. Maybe you'd have to know the situation to think it was funny.
3. I'm thankful for uncertainty. I hate it, but it's so good for me to have to be open to change and expand my field of vision at work.
4. I'm thankful for our parents! We got valentine's cards from both, and just that little thing made both of us smile and feel very loved. I can't actually remember a Valentine's day when my mom didn't give me a card or valentine...but this is the woman who used to make us treasure hunts when we got home from school on Columbus Day - incredible! Parenting like a boss.
5. I'm thankful for renewed energy both at home and especially at work - I needed a little kick in the pants to get out of a rut and am feeling much better after my trip last week.

What are you thankful for?

No comments: