Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Last night I went to meet some friends at The Dish, and while I was driving I noticed the horrendous traffic (atypical for our area) and people camped along the road in folding chairs. There were security guards every 50 feet, and random signs along the road that said no parking on 5/23 between 4-8pm. It took me waaaayy too long to figure out that this is what happens when Obama comes to our neighbourhood. Which has happened a few times since we've lived here (1 year). So I got the the dish super late because of traffic, and there was NO parking....so half an hour later I jog up and meet my friends and I'm telling you, I would not be so gracious as they were when I was like, "oh, no parking...and obama...traffic...". Sounds like a bunch of BS to me, and I know it was all true.

And so the 3-day weekend is upon us, and I have...no plans. Nolan has one day off this weekend, so we're going to live it up (most likely) by doing something really amazing and fun (or more likely catching up on Game of Thrones in our pjs eating blueberries). And yet: that sounds a little bit like heaven. Because I haven't been sleeping hardly at all, and I need a mini-vacay again already, and c'mon, who doesn't like blueberries? I'm thinking pancakes for breakfast, and what the hell: we might even use REAL SUGAR.

So I'm pretty excited about that, among other things:

1. I'm thankful for that 3-day weekend (can I stress this enough?!). 'Nuff said.
2. I'm thankful for fun dates and double-dates with friends! Nothing better than good times with good people.
3. I'm thankful that Milo's finally growing up. He's been IMPOSSIBLE lately. No longer would sleep at night, was always making noise, and clawing at things more. The positives were that he was biting less (thank you, Harley?) and he was SUPER affectionate all the time. Like, throwing himself at me while purring loudly and coaxing me to pet him instead of sleeping. After 20 minutes of that I would throw the covers off me, bellow, "that's IT!" and toss him into his room to sleep alone. Confused about if I'm talking about a cat or a biological child? Me too sometimes.
4. I'm thankful that Nolan's only on this tough rotation for 3 weeks, and then it should be mostly easy street for awhile! We hope. I like having him home when I get home.
5. I'm thankful for safety. I feel like I've read an awful lot lately about people who live in unsafe areas or conditions and how they're constantly in fear...and I realize how lucky I am. And how free. And it's a beautiful feeling I should never, ever take for granted.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Mrs. Campbell said...

Three day weekends are the best! I hope you enjoy yours. A week on Monday and we will be stateside! EEEEEEEEEEEE.