Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bangers and Mash

So here we are in London town. We started out a bit rough as the first thing I did when we landed was promptly vomit huge amounts all over myself. I don't know if it was the ambien I had taken not sitting well in there, or the fact that my body was disoriented, or how I had consumed huge amounts of food and gum and tomato juice on the flight (what? The in-flight meal was fantastic!), but I bet it was a deadly cocktail of all three. Nolan's reaction? To promptly photograph the incident. Yep. So I am sitting in my seat with the rest of the passengers filing past me out of the plane, drenched in a pool of vomit (really, it was everywhere), and Nolan snaps some keepers both of me AND my product. And I quote: "move your hands, babe. I want to get a shot of the puke between your legs." We're going to have such classy photos of this trip, I can tell.

Anyway. So we get me to the front of the plane where I use the bathroom and at least de-chunkify myself, and I remove my pukey sweater, and we set off. Of course, one of my suitcases was put on a different flight, so it will be arriving tomorrow. Naturally it's the one with my makeup in it, so Our first several pictures are definitely going to be at the top of the attractive pile. Oh well. As N pointed out while we were on the tube on our way to the hotel, "But we're in London!", I am going to make the most of it. Although at the time I wasn't too excited about it, clutching my barf-ridden sweater and my lost-luggage tag and noticing the people around me holding their noses. Sweet. Welcome to London.

Once we got here, I took an amazing shower and changed clothes and washed the other ones immediately, we hopped back on the tube and went to Kensington Palace, Hyde Park, Notting Hill, Portobello Road, High Street, and walked around Harrod's. The park and palace are amazingly beautiful, and as an added bonus: the temperature was about 75, and sunny!!! Most gorgeous day in the park ever! We have the pictures to prove it for you doubters, as well. After walking miles and miles around the park and Portobello Road, we admired the neat houses in Kensington borough, and then marveled at the awesomeness that is Harrod's. Seriously, a different them for each room! And the bakery/candy and gelato/cafe room looked like it was out of Willy Wonka's dream world. We bought several delicious pastries and then sat upstairs at the Starbucks across the street (we will go somewhere more exciting for coffee tomorrow, I promise!) and sampled them with our lattes. Most delicious pastries ever! And we haven't even hit Paris or Amsterdam yet!

After that we came back to the hotel to turn in early, and, surprise!: woke up wide awake at midnight :( so here I am: Nolan went for a walk to try and wear himself out enough to fall back asleep, and I thought I'd test out the hotel's wifi with my iPhone. Bingo! In reality, I see another Ambien in our near future to get us back on a normal sleep schedule, though.

Tomorrow we are heading to the Natural History Museum, as well as Buckingham, Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster, etc. OH and we are having dinner at a cafe in a hundreds of years old crypt. Heh. More details tomorrow.

For now: farewell and goodnight!

Quote of the day:
" There's no place like London!" - "Sweeney Todd" by Stephen Sondheim

3 comments:

Pops said...

I am reminded of the time you puked on my instrument panel!!!!!yuk!!!!Chunks amidst the knobs and screws.....I wish that I had taken a picture...we could have had a whole puke collection.

Anonymous said...

Awww, too bad about the rough start. It actually happens to alot of people when traveling. When I was in Cuzco I was so altitude sick that I puked from just walking up a steep street. My sister took a picture of me and my mom right after, lying by the side of the road like a couple of drunk people. At least everything will look up from that point on!

AshU

Joop said...

Some people love to leave their mark on the way back (like 'Kilroy was here') but not at arrival......