Thursday, April 29, 2010

Guinea Pigs 'R' Us

One of my least favourite things is miscommunication. Whether it's with friends, in a professional setting, or wherever, it's never fun and always hard to deal with. People naturally hear things very differently, and sometimes I have to force myself to listen to the EXACT words a person is saying, rather than hearing what I naturally would. I think between my friends and my marriage, I've learned an awful lot about communicating clearly, even though I still have TONS of issues with it. Case in point: I almost texted Nolan last night before he got home, "I'm experimenting with mushrooms!"...and then realized some things can have dual meanings.

We leave for Peru in 9 weeks (from tomorrow), and apparently there is a day that we spend with local villagers, learning Incan crafts and then eating lunch in their homes. The list from which we had to choose 3 workshops was:
• Ceramics
• Chocolate making
• Chicha (typical maize drink) preparation
• Bee keeping
• Flower growing
• Weaving
• Coffee processing
• Guinea pig raising

Yes, we could learn how to raise Guinea pigs. And Nolan was pretty excited about it, until I veered him towards more sane things. Like chocolate making, ceramics, and weaving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah! Three grand-kittens is enough. You tell Nolan that I certainly don't want a bunch of grand-piglets. Do you have any idea how quickly they procreate? I'd be broke in no time buying little treats for all those rascals.

Anonymous said...

I would have thought he would like the chicha lesson. Mom