Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Once again, I surface once a week on Thursday, and even then, a feeble attempt. No wonder my blog traffic is failing. I also have a raging headache because I'm weaning myself back down to 1 cup of coffee/day. I was consistently having one in the afternoon each day, now that we have a k-cup machine at work, but I'm trying to stop and my body is rebelling. Speaking of rebelling: I just finished the Hunger Games this week, and still HIGHLY recommend them. Though I will say that the ending left me feeling a little bit stupefied. If you're up for a slightly gory, dystopian adventure novel, these books are for you!

My plan was to read The Help next, followed by Shadow of the Wind...but somehow this morning I found myself buried in War and Peace again, and this time it's sticking. Must be the kindle's wicked influence to make me adore everything I read on it. Also the fact that I didn't have The Help on my kindle yet, and needed something to read on the BART and at the gym...and War and Peace was there from when I downloaded it before. Huzzah!

On to the gratefulness:
1. I'm thankful for our home, and it's capability to host 20+ people for a MASSIVE game night/party. We discovered this last night, when we did just that. Between the heat and discovering Milo cowering outside by the recycle bin and the huge amount of food leftover and severe lack of space, it was EPIC! And probably not happening again for a long time.
2. I'm so very thankful that Nolan and I have 2 nights to catch our breaths. We counted backward last night and can't remember our last night of just relaxing.
3. I'm thankful we're getting a new fridge! Oh, didn't I mention? Ours broke AGAIN this past week and we had to get rid of our food again. Second time in a month. Of course, this isn't exactly surprising considering the fridge is older than we are. Hooray for a new one!
4. I'm thankful for presents! Nolan knows one of my love languages is gifts (the other main one is physical touch), and so I felt extra-loved when he took me out last weekend and had me pick out 2 super fancy, gorgeous watches!
5. I'm thankful for lots of free lunches at work during the summer. It's a fun treat, and makes my life easier when I don't have to worry about what to pack for lunch.
6. I'm thankful for the amazing, clean air where we live. I love waking up in the morning and smelling the fresh, damp air through our window. It's infinitely better than the city air, which alternates between smelling like urine mixed with kibble and vomit-laced sewers. I highly prefer my air scented with jasmine and honeysuckle and not wondering what diseases I'm sniffing.

...and that's gotta be the best way to end this post. Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Elli F said...

ok- I ditched Shadow of the Wind. I was into it, and then I just got bored. The story was just not moving on! But... you may have better luck. I am a very impatient reader, and if you are reading War and Peace, you are probably patient :). If you do read it, let me know what you think. -Elli