Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cornbread without the bread part

Latest obsession? Polenta. I started experimenting with it awhile ago, making little rounds in the oven and covering them with oil and herbs and sundried tomatoes. Then I moved on to fancy mascarpone-covered rounds with berries, honey and shaved chocolate. Lately, it's been plain old cooked polenta. Which isn't so plain, as it turns out:All I do is boil some polenta with milk, honey, butter, a shake of salt, and cream it all together. Once it's piping hot and thick, I toss on some blueberries and sliced almonds, and drizzle more honey over it all. Pure deliciousness!

On that note, if you're like me and you stocked up on Trader Joe's cornbread mix, let me also tell you that it isn't worth it. Betty Crocker (or homemade!) is much better and doesn't taste vaguely lemony. Though the real corn chunks in it are definitely charming.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just fixed that cornbread last night and I couldn't agree with you more. I like even the Jiff cornbread better, after tweaking it a bit!