Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Well, it's almost midnight, and because of the sudden urge to finish this book (I'm not giving in), I've been glued to this couch reading for hours. My right buttock is officially numb. If you're curious, I've been reading "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. It was recommended to me by an author that I met a few weeks ago, and I've been sucked in ever since! It is absolutely fantastic. Apparently it's the first of a 3-part series, but the second two haven't yet been published. If you liked "Pillars of the Earth", it's written in a very similar style, although about an entirely different theme and time period. That's all I'll say! I don't know what it is, but I've been reading nothing but really EXCELLENT books for months now. No duds whatsoever!

Since Thursday is almost over, I'd better get to it, right?
1. I'm thankful for the gift of time. Time with Nolan, time to read this book, time to relax, and time to prepare for the weekend. Often I don't have enough time, so getting little bits of it today have been super nice.
2. I'm thankful for my commute. Even though it's long, I officially can say that it could be a ton worse. I tried a different route this week: biking in the freezing cold to Caltrain Redwood City, waiting 30-45 (!) minutes for Caltrain to arrive, transferring at Millbrae to BART, and then doing the same thing to get home. I discovered (to my delight and relief), that it saves $0 money, costs more time, and it much more hassle. So I don't feel guilty at all now about the luxury of driving to Millbrae. Plus it buys me more time at home with Nolan. Win.
3. I'm thankful for these little pets. Even though one of them isn't mine. It just kind of makes me smile when I hear them galloping around the house, chasing each other with this kind of reckless joy. Like, it reminds me that life is simple.
4. I'm thankful for patience. I've learned to have patience with certain situations, whether at work or home, and I've become keenly aware of the consequences of not "waiting" for things. It makes me appreciate when I catch myself just taking a deep breath and being willing to be patient. Life is so much more peaceful when I allow myself to be like this. Sorry if this is vague.
5. I'm thankful for good deals! I just spent $6 for $50 of gift certificates to our favourite Thai restaurant. Tell me that isn't something to be thankful for, with the usual upcoming holiday expenses!

What are you thankful for?

No comments: