Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sometimes I don't understand the world...

Chelsea joined me for lunch yesterday downtown, and told me one of those stories that makes me want to go replicate it. She works at a starbucks drive-thru, and said that a few days ago, someone started paying for the orders of people behind them, and this continued on for awhile, even causing one woman to burst into happy tears. Next time I am in a drive-thru, I am totally doing that. What a wonderful little way to pay it forward!
On the other hand, I came into work today, and heard a sad story. One of our coworkers is blind, and he is the SWEETEST person I know. Anyway, today is our company luncheon and secret santa exchange, and he was taking the bus to work, and dropped his gift that he was holding, and NOBODY picked it up for him. He is obviously visually impaired and has his cane, and he even asked people next to him and the driver to help him, and they pretended like he wasn't there. He lost his gift because nobody would help him. TELL ME THERE ISN'T SOMETHING RIDICULOUSLY MESSED UP ABOUT THAT. I just don't understand how people can be so wonderful and at the same time SO cruel. We were talking about it here and my boss I think summed it up saying that it is just a manifestation of the good and evil existing in this world.

1 comment:

Glorysgirl said...

Potentially also an explanation is that 99.5% of the people in this damn city don't speak English. Boo :( But yay for nice Starbucks buying joy. I had a guy buy my drink once and it creeped me out until he explained "I just like doing nice stuff for people" and then I mostly believed him.