Monday, February 14, 2011

Be Mine

Some people really hate Valentine's Day. Personally, I've been pretty neutral about it in the past (I've had good experiences and terrible experiences), but as time goes by it becomes less of "just a day" and more of another excuse for me to celebrate the amazing gift of love that I've been given. Which is why I love to celebrate my marriage and my wonderful husband as often as possible. Not just on Valentine's Day, but always. It blows my mind that this can just keep getting better and better. Then again, I didn't think I could love him more than when I married him, and here we are. I've learned over the past few years just the earliest hint of truth in this, with hope of SO much more to come: "Story writers say that love is concerned only with young people and the excitement and glamour of romance end at the altar. How blind they are. The best romance is inside marriage; the finest love stories come after the wedding, not before." - Irving Stone

Typically, Nolan and I don't do the whole "make reservations at a fancy restaurant and flirt and blow kisses across the table and bring along my one dozen red roses that probably cost 19 times the usual price just because the date is 2/14". So per tradition, we chose a place to eat that does NOT require (or accept!) reservations, does not even have seating as far as I know, and requires no candles or silverware. We're literally going to a trailer on the side of the road. Gorilla BBQ! It ALWAYS has a line wrapped around it, no matter the time...and it's close to Sea Bowl, which is probably where we'll go afterwards, since our original plan of minigolfing may be washed up in the rainy weather today. We like to celebrate each other and the fun we have as much as possible - including Valentine's Day...because as the saying goes, "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes true lovers to be silly." - Rose Franken


Milo thought he'd dress up for the occasion, wearing something he and I got Nolan for his birthday (early, since he'll be in China!). Of course the selfish brat bought him something that revolved around himself...but then again Nolan did list it on his wishlist:

I've never seen a white tuxedo look so good.


To my husband, my best friend, my lover and playmate. You are the substance of all my wishes and hopes brought to life.
"Love is friendship set on fire." - Jeremy Taylor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So well said Anneliese!!!

And... it is hard to imagin how it could possible get any better over time, then it does.

And... NOBODY that has NOT put the time into a relationship could understand that!!!

With that said, I can't imagin how much love I will feel in another 9 years, after 40 yrs of marriage. But everyday is deeper than the last.

And... that is something that even a "young" relationship can relate to.
Did I just talke in circles! LOL.

Noemma said...

Milo looks handsome. ;)

I loved reading about your relationship with Nolan. It's so hopeful in a society where divorce is so rampant. Thanks for sharing. :)