Wednesday, October 17, 2012

pom

I've never really gotten into Pomegranates or Persimmons or Figs or any of those other less-common and less-loved fruits. But I've been seeing Pomegranates pop up all over the stores recently, so I thought I'd take advantage of it. I'm so glad I did! I had a salad for lunch that was just the right mix of sweet, spices, and savoury.
Last night I figured out how to de-seed the pomegranate (in water!), and I thought it would be tasty to toast some pecans and spices too. They were fall and spice and everything nice in one nutty concoction. Here's what I came up with:

Spiced Pecans
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp xylitol
- 1 tsp cinnamon
-1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch ginger

I tossed everything in a saucepan and just stirred until they were warm, crispy and fragrant. It's okay to scorch them a tiny bit! As they cooled I sprinkled a tiny bit more xylitol on them, and they were perfect. As for the rest of my delicious, autumn salad?

Autumn Pomegranate Salad
- 2-3 oz. plain grilled chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups greens
- handful pomegranate seeds
- 2 small spoons of goat cheese
- 1 oz. pepitas
- 1 oz. spiced pecans
- 1 oz. organic light balsamic dressing

I know, the food thing again. I'm not trying to turn this into a food blog, but I thought I'd better start documenting my discoveries on here or I'll forget about them!

Speaking of food, tonight Nolan and I are checking out Vesta with friends...yay for specialty wood-fired pizza, and yay for our splurge night!

No comments: