Tuesday, January 25, 2011

sashimi

My gym is conveniently located less than a block from my work. So when I walk to yoga, I walk in and walk out. Simple. Until they built a fast-food-sushi place next door. Let me preface this by saying our neighbourhood didn't have GREAT sushi except for at the Palace, which as we should all know is ridiculously expensive. So someone took note, and put in a fast, cheap, build-your-own sushi bar RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO MY GYM. And for all I can see it must be pretty dang good because the line is coiled around the building, down the alley. For build-your-own-sushi. Seriously. So now I have to walk around, find a gap in the busy line, muscle my way through as people get jostled by the yoga mat strapped on my back, and then beat my way back out of the gym when I leave. Sushi - go somewhere else and stop assaulting my subconscious with your deliciousness!

Poll: does anyone else imagine someone's name before you find out what it really is? Scenario: you see someone in a gym class about whom you think "they look like friend material". You imagine meeting them and how awkward/cool it could possibly be. You imagine what their name most likely is. You know, lots of people say "oh, they look like a rachel" or "I can't imagine you as anything but a steve". I do this all the time. Like a little game I play with myself. And almost everytime, when I think I've got a "Stacy" or "Brittany" nailed down, it turns out to be "Maude" or "Laquesha"or something equally opposite of what I was thinking. And I think that moment of shock is what turns people away.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

If I ever have a daughter and am going to name her Stacy or Brittany, I'll go for either Maude or Laquesha instead...to make the world a better place for name-guessers such as yourself.