Friday, October 22, 2010

At a breakneck pace

In some small way,I think listening to Christmas music too far in advance of the season robs you of the joy it brings the day after Thanksgiving when most Scrooges out there finally sigh and turn to the one station that shares my early sentiment. Or create a new Pandora playlist. And yet here I sit, robbing myself of that joy I could be experiencing later more fully, but telling myself it doesn't matter, because have I EVER gotten sick of Christmas music, EVER? This from the girl who pulls out the holiday singles in June. I also have no problem justifying it because I know the INTENSE SORROW that January 1 will bring as I am forced to take down the tree and delete my pandora playlist and wait another year until Christmas.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying the empty gym. As the holidays are upon us and swimsuit season is over, there is a dramatic lack of people in the gym when I go, even in my yoga class. I can now show up and fully expect to have one of the small exercise balls all to myself, whereas before I'd have to wrap my legs around a giant one, and I know for a fact that I heard a few sniggers behind me. Of course when everyone is back to work on January 4, 2011, the gym will be packed with all those "resolution" folks, hoping to buoy their doomed aspirations at least a week until that chili dip calls their name and they forsake the gym altogether.

Giants lost last night, but chances at the World Series aren't doomed yet! Meanwhile, the Ducks absolutely ANNIHILATED UCLA last night. Yes Nolan, even though I wear my Ducks shirt to bed, I do, in fact, care.

Today also marked the first day of wearing boots for the season, which although it seems like a small marker, actually means I can start tromping in puddles and making applesauce and crocheting my never-ending blanket (which I started in 2007 when we moved to SF, and is still waiting to be finished) and watching old classics with Jimmy Stewart and maybe even new classics like...Harry Potter. For now I'm content with passing my days at work, running through the rain to my yoga class, eating a crunchy salad, and sipping a hazelnut latte while I plug along and listen to my Christmas playlist. And my nights are some blissful combo of all of the above, except I also get to add Nolan and Milo into my equation.

Days Until Thanksgiving Break: 32!
Days Until Christmas: 63!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas diehard ;)