Monday, October 25, 2010

back in the swing

We've kinda been slacking on the 100 things to eat and drink before you die in SF list, but today we hit it again full swing! I stopped by the Ferry Building and other spots today and thought I'd hit as many spots as possible in an hour period. Only hit a few, but hey I'll take it. More to come tomorrow! Anyway, to kick things off:

#40 - Cheeseburger with sweet potato fries at Taylor's Automatic Refresher (now called "Gott's", but still the same thing, same menu)
This place was awesome. I was so hungry for the meal that I forgot to take the picture until I was almost done with my half...Nolan had the other half, since we both felt bad about having the whole thing. The fries were sweet and crispy, but with chili powder sprinkled on them, and a light sauce to dip them in. The burger was fresh and crisp, with delicious beef and sauces. Mmmm!


#28 - A Gibraltar at Blue Bottle Cafe
This place makes only the real stuff - no fluffy sweeteners or syrups, no diluted blends. Taking its roots from Turkish coffee, this place makes real coffee. And real delicious. The Gibraltar is basically a tiny latte in a tiny glass the size of about 2.5 shot glasses (that's a guess), and the glass itself is what is called the Gibraltar, which is how the drink got its name. 2 shots espresso, steamed hot milk with foam on top...voila! I was surprised to find that I actually LOVED this drink, even though it was super strong with absolutely no sugar. Though after I finished it, my tongue was buzzing, so who knows.


#87 - Sesame balls at Yank Sing
This place is known for greasy, but delicious and way overpriced Chinese food. Kind of a schmancy place. But the sesame balls, at a little over a dollar a pop, are delicious bean curd confections that taste like some asian bean version of a funnel cake. Tasty!


I also had to stop at Boulette's larder, even though they aren't on the list (they should be!), for some of their sea salt brownies, which are actually cookies. Tiny little things, but tasting like cocoa with sea salt on top and mixed in. SO DELICIOUS.



Yesterday, Nolan and I took our pumpkins over to Ash U's house, and carved them up, and made a homemade pumpkin pie from the innards of one of them (it was awesomely tasty!), and roasted the seeds from the others for salads (thanks, Mom for the idea). There was cider, Sinatra, scones, and candy corn, and I feel so holiday-ish anyway that it was good times. Nolan was originally going to make an intricate carving of a spider in a web, but gave up after 2 cuts in the pumpkin and decided to carve Milo's name and profile into his pumpkin in the end. I went with an owl in a tree and a slivered moon. Nolan's STILL looks better if that's possible. Milo's a big fan of both, as we've been sticking treats in there to get him to fish around through the holes with his paw.


ylehsa sent me this blog today, which makes me feel better about going to IKEA solely for the swedish meatballs.

Quote of the day:
My mother-in-law: "Does Nolan have a thing for your clothes??? LOL John loved some of mine because they were soft so he could polish his toys."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some seriously cool pumpkins! Mom

Pops said...

Awwww. Isn't it cute that Nolan loves Milo so much.