Tuesday, June 21, 2011

welted

Due to the extreme heat yesterday, my sunny-side-up brain forgot to mention my weekend. So. Friday night there wasn't too much to mention - we got dressed up and went to a dinner in downtown Palo Alto for the Emergency department. We actually left early because Josh B arrived, and the rest of the evening was spent with him. We got up early on Saturday and gave Josh a biking tour of Atherton (trying to impress!), while he informed us of interesting little facts about our 'hood. Like:
-it is the 2nd most expensive zip code in the US
-it is 78% white (this is rare in the Bay Area, trust me)
-76% of the households in Atherton are married couples
-median income is over $200,000, with median home price listed as $4,000,000
...and most interestingly, notable current residents include:
-Shirley Temple
-Willie Mays
-Eric Schmidt
-Charles Schwab
-Jerry Rice
-Meg Whitman
-Cheryl Burke
...and of course many others...those were just the ones I immediately recognized.

After our biking tour, we had some coffee and breakfast and greeted our 4 other guys who had just arrived, and then the 7 of us drove down to Santa Clara for some paintballing! The courses were interesting there, with giant castles and sets that looked straight out of a warzone. There were 13 year old kids to 60 year old men playing, and the degrees of expertise were frightening. For example, Jacob got hit by a semi-pro shooter in the neck, and the welt ended up bleeding because of the force of the hit. I just got some minor welts, except for one on my shoulder where I got nailed TWICE in a row. It still hurts just to touch it, and I feel like I should explain to people that it's from paintballing and not that my husband is a wife-beater.

When we got back, everyone spent a few minutes stretching their aching muscles and stripping off their painted and VERY sweaty clothes, and then went home. Nolan and I lounged around all night eating cheese and crackers, and big glasses of wine. We felt like we deserved it :)

Sunday we went to church at Reality SF, then drove over to meet our friends Sam and Steven at Starbucks. We spent a few hours in the oh-so-hot sun chatting and catching up, then met our friends Jennie and Ross, who are visiting currently from Scotland. We only get to see them once a year, but it is SUCH a treat! I'm already looking forward to our next Skype date.

So that was pretty much it. Seeing as how we thankfully didn't finish the bottle of wine on Saturday, I'm going to treat myself again and take advantage of it.

No comments: