Tuesday, July 21, 2009

2.

Birthdays and anniversaries seem to be markers of life, and sometimes they come and go, while I just sit and wave at them, wondering how life can pass us by so quickly?

(sorry for the quality...it's a picture of a picture, and I had to edit the flash out (as you can tell by my mutilated-looking arm).)

Two years ago today, I married my best friend, the man of my dreams. Today as I sit here, I love him more than I ever thought possible, only to find that it's getting deeper every day. What I love about our marriage is that we can switch back and forth seamlessly from being playmates and being silly, to being partners and lovers, and tackling the more serious issues of life together. I was at a wedding recently where the pastor admonished the couple to "never forget how to play", and how important that is to a marriage. I beamed at Nolan when I heard that, because I felt like this is something we do really well. Obviously you have to be able to have other attitudes, and like most things, too much playing is not a good thing. Every day we do definitely make a point of talking about what's going through our minds, and bouncing thoughts and ideas off of each other. But I think that our attitude of play has made a significant impact on our marriage, in that we both are finding it easier to let the little things roll off of our backs, and not pick a fight over something that just isn't worth it. Instead, we'll shrug and go back to laughing and whipping each other with wet towels.

2 comments:

Chelsey caldwell said...

What a beautiful blog today. My brother is a lucky man to have you as a wife and you are lucky to have him as a husband. I wish you a wonderful evening and to many more years to come. I love you both

Unknown said...

A tear worked its way down my cheeck as I read your blog Anneliese. Love is such a POWERFUL feeling and with the right person it does get deeper and deeper as time passes. You are both precious in our eyes. Thanks for sharing!