Thursday, September 24, 2009

shed-jool

Between now and January 9, I only have 3 weekends free. How depressing is that! Of course, I won't be complaining that 2 of those busy weekends will be in Europe and 2 will be in Mexico, heh. But STILL!

Thought: Is social elitism prevalent in our common lives today? Who knows. I tend to think so, only because I can walk into a store in Union Square, and if my hair is greasy from the gym (or just greasy in general), the salesperson will snub me. Yet the next person in is a man in a suit, and they're all licking the tiles beneath his feet. Not that I'm a bitter member of the working-class, but this has miffed me lately. Especially since I find it to be VERY prevalent in certain circles I find myself in. I respect someone who has worked hard to be where they're at, but we're all just people. I kind of feel the same way with saints--people pray to saints, and yet they're just (dead) people. What makes them any different, really? There is a big difference between admiring someone's accomplishments or character, and treating them much differently than their/your peers. This is challenging in a city where I'm constantly trying to please those around/above me, and yet walking by crazy people on the streets who walk up and grab my arm and speak gibberish to me. Obviously I don't want to be grabbed by someone who smells like urine, but I'd like to think that doesn't have anything to do with the person, as much as it does with the stench. We're all just trying to get by, right? In our own way?

Granted, some are after different things than others, but it seems like I've noticed even more than usual the fierce drive of people after things that just don't matter. Myself included. Yikes. All this isn't to say the symbolic capital of some people doesn't make sense, but there is a difference between that and and social elitism based solely on possession or idolatry for one reason or another, and as we all know, too much of a good thing...We're hypocrites of our own creed, "We hold these things to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...", and I might add, "and remain equal despite our own strivings to set ourselves above others." Mission: study the Constitution.

Not to rant or anything, just a thought. This is probably the most confusing post ever.

On to infinitely more superficial things. I was sitting at my desk this morning, when an email pops up from my coworker. Subject Line: "MAN OVERBOARD!!!" So I open it, and saw this (click to enlarge):



I happen to really like this vest I'm wearing, AND have gotten many compliments on it. See?


If you can ignore the creepy Easter Bunny peeping over my left shoulder (wtf?!), you might notice that the vest, although very warm and cute looking, DOES actually resemble a life preserver. Hhh. My badge there is even like the little pull-cord to inflate it. Maybe I SHOULD have been a stewardess afterall.

I've also decided to resurrect the quote of the day. So here you are:
"Most people don't realize that two large pieces of coral painted brown and attached to the skull with common wood screws can make a child look like a deer."
-Jack Handey

Nolan: 8 days!
Europe: 12 days!

1 comment:

chels said...

I notice that social elitism, but from the other end. I work at Starbucks and so often I am treated by customers as if I were less than a person (not as smart, not as successful, not on my way to something important) simply because I am wearing a green apron and making lattes. Since most of my customers are college students and soccer moms, I sometimes want to wear a sign saying that I graduated with a BS from a top university and am happily married to a PhD candidate and am only doing this until I can start another job with health insurance. So please, keep in mind those of us on the other side of the counter. I know you do, that is just one of my rants :)