Monday, March 14, 2011

Love

"They will know you by your love." (John 13:35, paraphrased)

The other day as I left for work, I saw two snails on the sidewalk, crawling along next to each other with their shells touching. It reminded me that love is a universal thing (though I realize those snails had nothing themselves to do with love...derrr). It's been on my mind a lot, as I'm challenged to be a better person. I am often very spiteful towards those I get frustrated with, or don't even know. So I'm trying to develop patience.

I saw this picture the other day, and was so moved by it that not only am I going to ask Nolan to frame it, but I wanted to share it with you. I can't help feeling like this is how we were intended to be - loving our fellow man in the most tangible way possible. Jesus never called us to love only those we knew, or only those who believed the same things as we do, or only those who are x, y, and z...we are supposed to love everyone. Maybe hippies had something right after all. This picture was taken during the riots in Egypt. It's a picture of Christians protecting Muslims during their prayer-time:

photo credit

I guess you have to start small, and work your way up. I wish more of the world (including myself) put a bigger priority on loving people they didn't know. But it's so easy to only favour those you know. This gas station sign (thanks, Nate) has more love in it than most people out there:



Speaking of love, I went to visit my parents this weekend (Love!) and took Milo (Love!). But...he doesn't like the car ride so much, and he LOVES his pet friends up there. So each time he knows I'm packing up to come home, he hides. He's gotten better and better at it too, but I think this time was by far the best. Even better than when he hid under the covers, perfectly flat.

He even blends with the wall behind him, and didn't even disturb the cobwebs when he crept in there. I'm pretty sure he wasn't breathing, in case that gave him away. It took us a good hour to find him here. Sneaky thing.

On a totally related note, speaking of my need for patience: I'm no longer allowed to work out in the morning, even though I do pilates usually, which doesn't involve jumping or running or anything. I'm usually standing or sitting in place while doing moves. So...what the heck?

Apparently I've been living in an apartment made of paper, because I guess the walls vibrate when I do a situp.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love this post (seriously no pun intended).

Wow. At least the note tried to be nice? That would be super frustrating, especially since you're not even making that much noise! Kudos on trying to be patient though. I struggle with that, esp. with co-workers.